Upon attending the San Francisco Gift Show this weekend, I was quite surprised at many of the vintage items that are being reproduced. Mercury glass vases, French crowns, Santos statues, French chandeliers, French tole...the list goes on and on. A discerning collector of vintage can spot the repros right away, but it's scary to see what's being mass produced. There is nothing like the look and feel of vintage. The patina, workmanship and history. We can all help save the environment by buying vintage. Not to say that I don't occasionally buy new vintage-inspired items, but they can never replace vintage.
Anne of Lulu's Vintage has coined the Ten Top Reasons to Give Vintage Gifts
10. It is the ultimate eco-gift! No landfill packaging. No new use of resources or labor.
9. Craftsmanship. Vintage items were made out of high quality materials and feature unique design details.
8. History. You are buying an item that has proved to be fashionable throughout history.
7. History (part 2). It is fun to own something vintage and think of how a person from a whole other generation appreciated it as well.
6. Uniqueness. No chance of hitting the streets with a new scarf only to see three other people with the same one!
5. Supporting a small business. Instead of lining the pockets of big box stores, you can support an independent business owner.
4. Authenticity. Why buy rip-offs of old designs, when you can get the original.
3. Authenticity (part 2). Why buy something that has been "distressed" to look old when you can get something that has genuine patina.
2. Save some cash. Vintage items are often times much less expensive than new.
1. Don't participate in the mad rush to the mall. Vintage is easy to find off the beaten path.