A Little Imperfection.

This morning I was perusing some eBay France auctions and stumbled upon this sweet little chocolat cup with a starting bid of 29.99 euros (approx $39). What struck me the most was its old world charm with its chips and cracks. For some reason, the French don't seem to mind imperfections in their pieces as we do here in the US. Why is that? I've seen old Faience plates at high prices and the French don't seem to mind.

Don't these little imperfections tell a story?

I've had to steer clear from purchasing anything for resale with the slightest crack, especially porcelain. I'm wondering, would you still purchase something that wasn't pristine? Why is it that the French actually relish imperfections?

Comments

Len said…
Years ago I read a comment about antique purchasers. Americans like it in mint condition. The English may have a piece that is damaged but will put it on display and either turn it or cover it somehow so as to hide the imperfection. The French don't mind damage and will use and display a piece with the damage in full view. I'm Canadian and I have done all three! HAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
Unknown said…
This all depends on the item and its intended use. If it's something of historical, sentimental, or decorative value, and especially if it's an item that is one of a kind or difficult to find, then small flaws and signs of age and use are of little import and can even add character to the item!

Popular Posts