Tuesday, May 12, 2015

The End of an Era


This makes me so sad. My high school youth group (B'nai Brith Youth Organization) was very involved in MDA. In 1975 we had a 24 hour dance-a-thon fundraiser. That night we danced tirelessly and raised $10,000 for MDA. It was so much money for the times (70s), that two of our teens were sent to Las Vegas to personally hand a check to Jerry Lewis.

From that point on, I spent every Labor Day weekend until I was almost 30, answering the phones at the local telethon headquarters. Many times I did the all-nighter shifts. It was a true labor of love, and I knew that Labor Day weekend meant MDA, not a barbecue or camping trip.

I believe that people just stopped watching the telethon when Jerry Lewis left the show a few years ago. Perhaps the ratings were down before that. Very sad. Whatever mixed feelings people had for Jerry Lewis, he did miracles to raise awareness and money for MDA.

I hope that people still continue to donate to such an important cause and that MDA finds alternative ways to raise money.

No comments: