I May Have an Addiction...


To Facebook, that is.

I was one of those adamant people who swore they would never join Facebook. Then it happened. A friend coerced me. Isn't that how it always happens?

Suddenly I've found that Facebook has become "the great escape" -- a coffee break of sorts. When I need a break or simply want to "zone out," I hop over to Facebook to see what everyone is doing. Voyeuristic? yes. Fun? absolutely.
  1. Where else can you see loads of family and friend's photos all in one place? Okay cousin Sara...leave out the sonogram photo...seriously.
  2. Where else can you see what your old boyfriends from high school look like 30 years later? Yikes!
  3. What a brilliant way to keep up-to-date with everyone's birthdays!
  4. Privacy, shmivacy...we're all exposed now, so what the heck?
  5. And seriously, it's great for business. Start a fan page and stay in touch with your customers. Follow other fan pages to see their updates. Pets for adoption? 1/2 off sale on fry pans? All in one place.
So there you have it. I'm thinking of a 12-step program to curtail my use, but don't think there is one out there yet.

Tell me, are you addicted to Facebook?


photo credit: meganzil

Comments

I've never been on Facebook, but maybe I should check it out! I will tell you I am addicted to bloging, maybe I better not check out Facebook, I really want get anything done, then I'll have 2 addictions!!! Blessings~~~Daphne
Cashon&Co said…
I have taken a "leave of absence" from Facebook...I don't know why I did it, but I just feel overwhelmed with email's and then facebook sends me over the edge!
I'm not allowed near Facebook, my children forbid me to even think about attempting to have a look! This sort of warning I take very seriously.
Sharon
FrenchBlue said…
There is seriously NO TIME in my life for me to be on Facebook unless I give up sleeping or my ONLY alone moments which are now so precious and few...Uh Uh Uh! I'm glad you are loving it:)
Whatever you do, do NOT - I repeat - do NOT play Sorority Life on Facebook. Especially if you have a lot of friends to invite into your Sorority house from your Facebook friends.

You will become beyond addicted.

!

And if you do try it, look me up: Marsha DeLite.
~lisa~ said…
yes i am addicted, and then there are the ridiculous games i have become addicted to! can you say bejeweled?
Hi Lynn,
Sorry that I've been AWOL. I've had computer trouble !
I decided a long while ago that I wouldn't join Facebook. Not that there is anything wrong with it. It's just that, blogging takes up so much time, I daren't start anything else !! You are probably better at spreading your time than I am. I think that you should embrace it and enjoy it and don't worry about going to the 'Facebook Annonymous' meetings !!
Have a great weekend, Lynn. XXXX
Anonymous said…
Having a son with busy and varied social life is a definite advantage for someone as indecisive about new media as me: his ventures serve as a testing ground.
So before I made my decision on joining Facebook I made a revision of his page.
And decided against it.

Too much activity, constant bombardment with personal entries other people find significant (but I probably would not), the interface itself - excessively busy with info - all this reminds me a perpetual child with ADD. I want to cry "Focus!" when I see all this endless chatting.

Besides, there is no apparent feature of saving some useful bit of information if/when it accidentally pops up; no "Archive this!" button, nothing resembling "Put in memory" icon LiveJournal has.

But if that's the poison you like, dear Lynn, don't restrain yourself!

Popular Posts