My "Ticky Tacky" House

my childhood house as it looks today

Last year I posted about artist Leah Giberson and the wonderful mixed-media paintings she creates of suburban and urban landscapes.

some of Leah's Westlake paintings

One of the subjects Leah paints are mid century homes located in the small suburb of Daly City, about 10 miles south of San Francisco. When I was 4, my parents bought our first house in the Westlake district of Daly City. The Westlake homes are kind of "Mid-Century Modern cool."

Malvina Reynolds' song "Little Boxes" was based on a drive she took through Daly City in 1962, and became a hit for folk singer Pete Seeger in 1964.

"Little boxes on the hillside, Little boxes made of ticky tacky,
Little boxes on the hillside, little boxes all the same,
There's a green one and a pink one and a blue one and a yellow one,
And they're all made out of ticky tacky and they all look just the same."

When I met Leah and saw her work I thought I must commission her to do a painting of my old ticky tacky house! So, voila!

The painting

Leah's embroidered paintings are built up of layers of paper with contrasting textures that are stitched together in some spots. I love how the subject runs over the sides; the telephone wires are exaggerated, the house sits alone. Fabulous.

To view or purchase Leah's fabulous work, you can visit her website, blog, flickr series and etsy shop. Also included are her upcoming gallery exhibits. {Oh, and Leah sells prints of her paintings as well!}


Leah also has a wonderful 2011 calendar available which is stunning in person. It features 13 selected images of her paintings and are on nice heavyweight paper. You can purchase one here on Etsy.

Love my painting Leah!

Comments

Nita Stacy said…
It's fantastic! The perfect house for her to paint.
Carla said…
Wow she must have been so excited by the commission.. Her kind of place.. So cute. Carla x
That is brilliant Lynn. What a lovely way to remember your childhood home. It reminds me of the houses in Edward Sissorhands. They must have been so futuristic when they were first built. Even now they look so modern.
I don't think that I wished you a Happy New Year so wishing you and yours a fantastic 2011 filled with joy, happiness and many, many special moments and, thank you for all of your lovely comments and support throughout 2010. XXXX
The French Maid said…
What a lovely way to preserve childhood memories. That house is just too darn cute anyway, and she captured it beautifully.
--Lee Ann

Popular Posts