a few of my Favorite Things...

As an antiques dealer, I'm constantly asked, "How do you part with this?" That's a good question. I think most of us started out as collectors and have a difficult time selling our acquisitions. I only purchase what I like, so it's really hard to sell it. And unique items are becoming more difficult to find, so it's even tougher!

I thought I'd share some favorite finds that I can't part with. At least for now...

I recently acquired this old silverplate chatelaine notebook from the "Grand Restaurant" in Brussels. It has so much detail...I'm crazy for it!

the menu printed on the back...how cute it that?

AND it's a note pad. Never seen one like it before. It's a keeper...

I LOVE vintage trophies and have a small collection of them. This one reads, "Awarded to Parisian Cloak Company for Best Dressed Store Window." I use it for fresh flowers...

and this 1930's trophy from the Catskill Mountains for a "Bathing Beauty Contest"

I stumbled upon these 19th century mercury glass apothecary jars at a flea market. I was planning on selling them, but I have to hang on to them for awhile...

I found this French top hat with a prize ribbon and it must stay...

Then there are my San Francisco collections, such as this antique souvenir cup...

...and my prized oil paintings of San Francisco. Over the years I have amassed about 8 paintings of the Cliff House and Golden Gate Bridge. Some are really small and charming. They are all done by amateur artists, and that makes them even more special...

Many years ago I purchased this colorful, whimsical oil painting of a tourist in Paris. It's so quirky...

another painting that I cherish, c. 1960's...

I purchased this huge map at a San Francisco antiques store...

My Great-Grandfather was a woodcarver in San Francisco and carved for many of the churches, as well as Hearst Castle at San Simeon. These are just a couple of relics of his that I treasure. I found them in my aunt's basement...

This old French vanity piece was given to me by a dear friend and holds a special place...

I love anything hotel-related, so I flipped when I found this old wooden room sign at an antiques show. It is permanently glued to the second bedroom door, so I guess it's staying!

Thanks for letting me play "show and tell."

What are some "favorite things" that you can't part with? I'd love to hear! If you have any photos to share, please e-mail them and I'll post on this blog!

Comments

Unknown said…
Lynn, I love your favorite things and your style! I would hang on to every one of those items too! The top hat is fabulous and I am obsessed with that map, it is so pretty! Oh my goodness, that is incredible! I am looking for an old vintage map of Paris to frame and hang up in my office. The Rose Bowl flea market is next weekend maybe I'll have some luck!
Great post!
xoxo
Judith~
Mark said…
They're all lovely Lynn. My favourite is the oil painting at the very top. And the map in that wonderful frame would look great in my study. Just saying...
These are all such lovely items. I too would find it difficult to part with them. I often buy gifts for others that I like so much that I end up buying two pieces, just so I am sure to gift it and not hide it away! LOL
What a fabulous collection! I can see how you may need to hang on to these amazing items, at least for now. The map in the frame and french vanity are truly one of a kind and my favorites. Keepers! I love all your artwork as well. Thanks for teasing us!
I can completely understand why you may not want to part with any of these wonderful treasures. I have a similar problem in that I only buy what I like, but need to sell things on too...
I think my favourites would have to be the trophy and the hotel room number ~ oh to find such unique items as this!
Your photos are inspirational!
Anonymous said…
Lynn,,

the trophy for fresh flowers is the B*E*S*T! Keep it! really! All the others are fabulous as well, but that trophy is everything special -- pretty, useful, unique. What a find!
Thank you all for your sweet comments! I want to hear about YOUR favorite things that you covet!
FrenchBlue said…
uh uh uh!! My favorite things are things i got from you... like my Fairmont Hotel chair for my birthday present from you and the gold hotel number you sold to me just like yours! Thank you, Thank you my friend for sharing your treasures with me~~
Are you sure you won't part with that chatelaine notebook or the Paris Map (though I see my friend at Paris Atelier has 1st rights) if you change your mind! here via Paris Atelier and love, love your blog and finds. Enjoyed the visit and I'll add you to my blog list for readers.
What treasures! I would have a tough time parting with such things myself.
Anonymous said…
thanks for sharing your finds, how cool. I love your great-grandfathers work the best, what a perfect treasure! Dd
PinkAcorn said…
How wonderful to have something your grandfather made! My husbands great uncle did all the tile work at Hearst Castle and in the San Francisco Cliff house...I've never seen any of it...
melissa davis said…
Oh my GOD Lynn! You're killing me with those incredible treasures!!!
Denise Kiggan said…
I have a very similar patterned silver-plate notebook. Nice to find out it is called a chatelaine notebook!
Frenchblue: Thanks my dear Janet. I want photos of your treasures!!

A Gift Wrapped Life: Thanks so much for visiting my blog! Can't part with the chatelaine now...but you never know :)

Real Card Studio & Domesticated Desk: Thank you so much! I appreciate it!

PinkAcorn: Wow, we have a common link with Hearst Castle. I confess, I haven't been there either. We should really check out their work. A lost art...

Melissa: thank you...I know you have a lot of treasures too...some I've been eye-balling on your desk!

Freshly Found - thanks for visiting. Yes, chatelaines were during the Victorian era. Can you believe they made such elegant things for notepads?
Unknown said…
Those are some pretty impressive pieces. Love your oil paintings of San Francisco. I have a pair of 18th C. Thai temple dancers that are 3 feet tall and live on my desk. I fell in love with them on a trip to Bangkok many years ago. They are a man and a woman and I periodically turn them to face each other so they can commuicate ...LOL.
Have a great Easter Weekend
Kindest Regards
Patricia
Hi, Lynn! I loved this blog entry. Have to say that the 1960s oil painting, the silver notepad and your grandpa's carved hearts were my favorites. Especially the hearts. Never, ever part with them!
Anyway, my favorite antique itmes would be a huge old painting of Indian lady I picked up in Bombay, my big brass statue of Indian goddes Durga (basically a woman sitting on a lion with many arms and she has a different weapon in each arm, I believe she protects my house), then it would be my turqoise antique chairs that I bought from you (of course!), my
18th century andirons for my firelplace, which look like women holding flags and old woodcarved Russian icon that my uncle had given me for a wedding. This icon has been in my family forever, it is very special. I also have a collection of painted clay or wood lions and tigers that were made for temples in India.
I am also buying an old marble bust of a lady that I have been loving forever. Making a trip to get her today - the dealer has dropped the price, so I am taking a plunge!
Thanks for sharing your wonderful collection!
Patricia and Rose Growing Gal: Thank you so much for your comments and for sharing your treasured items!! We love our mementos. If you have photos, please send them. I'd love to do a post about other's favorites! Lynn
New reader and love your blog. :) How wonderful to know your great-grandfather's history. My grandfather was in the 1906 quake but that verbal history is now gone. You are so lucky to have yours. :)
Pink Martini: thanks so very much for reading my blog! I'm going to check out yours now. My great-grandparents were here during the earthquake too. Sad that we didn't have video cams when they were alive. Imagine them living in tents in GG Park. Must have been freezing!!!
Mélanie said…
Love your favorite things .The map looks wonderful.
I can not sell some paintings I had a crash on
cotedetexas said…
i want that map Lynn - seriously - I want it. I'm more than seriously - I may have to do something drastic to get it. care to part with it? see another one? love it. I"m in love.

Popular Posts