Blog it Forward: What Inspires Me?

I'm thrilled to be part of the Blog it Forward mash-up started by Victoria of sfgirlbybay. A group of 300 participating bloggers are sharing “what inspires them”on their blogs, and then passing it on to the next blogger on the schedule. I've already discovered some lovely blogs I’d never seen, so definitely check out the other participating blogs! The previous blog in the chain is Paper and Thread, and I'm blogging it forward to Peanut Butter and Poetry, link here.
So, what inspires me?

That's a tough one, since so many things inspire me. But, the first thing that popped into my head was "yesteryear." definition; time gone by; especially : the recent past.

Selling vintage and antique goods is one of the most interesting things I've ever done. I'm constantly inspired by things I find and the history behind them.

Market Street, San Francisco, 1940's

I've always said that if I had to wish for one thing, (not that winning the lotto wouldn't be great...and good health, of course), my wish would be to travel back in time and spend one day in San Francisco, preferably the 1930's or 40's. I'd take a stroll down Market Street, all dressed up in my hat and gloves.

The Flood Building

I'd stop to admire beautiful buildings that have been untouched by modern architecture...

photo: Ed Brodzinsky
The Hearst Building on Market Street was designed by architect Julia Morgan and dates to 1937. Gorgeous!


The San Francisco City Hall dome, inspired by Mansart's dome of Les Invalides in Paris, is the fifth largest in the world. The building is a a Beaux-Arts monument. I love the garlands, cartouches, balustrades, arched doors and classical details of the Beaux-Arts style.

Ferry Building Clock Tower

Gazing at passersby dressed in their fine clothing...I'm going to have to buy some new clothes to fit in!

What's a day without shopping? A "must stop," the upscale City of Paris department store (Beaux-Arts style building) which reflected French culture in the store’s décor and merchandise...

photo: ecastro
Its opulent rotunda with an amazing stained glass dome...breathtaking...

I may be tempted to purchase one of the dresses in the window...

Okay, enough shopping. Time to grab a cable car...


Headed down to Bernstein's Fish Grotto on Powell Street where I'll have some delicious seafood...Can't believe the crab cocktail is only 75 cents!

I'm on my way to visit fine hotels like the Fairmont and Mark Hopkins atop Nob Hill, and gaze at their interiors...luscious carpets designed by Dorothy Draper, marble pillars, massive chandeliers...

It's getting late...I'm stopping off Bimbo's 365 Club to hear some Big Band music...fabulous Art Deco supper club...

Perhaps I'll sip on a cocktail like a Pink Lady or Sidecar...

But wait! I haven't even said hello to my relatives!! Okay, I'll grab the nearest streetcar and pay visits to all. My great-grandparents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins galore! Can't wait to meet some of these people!

photo: cinderella

Uh oh! It's almost midnight. My day's up. I'm afraid it's time to return back to 2010...So sad to leave...I had the best time!


There is nothing like yesteryear. The beauty and elegance of a bygone era continues to inspire me to hunt and seek out vintages treasures to share with you. Perhaps we can all imagine a "time gone by" that in our minds, is more glamorous than it actually was. But, I doubt it. I think it was very glamorous indeed!

Thank you all for reading what inspires me. I hope your days are filled with your own endless inspiration!


Comments

Oh, that was brilliant, Lynn.
I loved all of the beautiful buildings. I have been to San Fransisco but, who wouldn't love to see it in a glamorous, bygone time, when things were so different.Very inspirational and I can certainly see why you would want to travel back in time. XXXX
What a GREAT post!!!!!! I loved it
La Dolfina said…
What a lovely post!
The City by the Bay was and always will be a most inspiring place.
Living across the bay in Alameda, my husband and I walk along the water's edge to the ferry and back most mornings to get our fix of beautiful San Fran!
Blog it forward is a lovely idea!!
Unknown said…
Wow, such and old soul! Your writing put into words what I as a native San Franciscan would want to do with the exception of shopping for female clothes. However, I love the hats that men wore in the 30's and 40's and admittedly would love for them to come back. I particularly loved the cable car photo you found which had a couple getting off of it holding those hat bags to look amazingly familiar with a wonderful couple I know. What a coincidence! Anyway, great blog!
What a great post!!! I love the buildings, such beauty... and the big band music, I could listen to all day! Hope you have a wonderful day.
Daphne
Great post Lynn. I think I might agree with you as I often think I would like to travel backward for a visit but didn't relize it until I read your words and thought "me too". we are planning a SF trip in June and your background will make it more interesting for me. Xo
vicki archer said…
Lynn, this would inspire me too. Lovely post, xv.
Ashley said…
Wow you have some great inspirations! Very original.
Cathi said…
Wouldn't that be wonderful to be able to do. I would have loved to also! Fabulous post, Lynn! :) xxoo
alexandra said…
so fantastic!!!! what an amazing trip!

(julia morgan has always been an inspiration for me- i was planning on referencing her in my blog it forward post too, i have the most spectacular book about her on my coffee table.)
JULIE said…
Being from the San Francisco Bay Area, I love your post. I now live in LA, and every time I visit I just can't get enough of the architecture and always wonder what life was like back then.
Arcadia said…
I'm here in the city too! thanks for the trip down memory lane, i loved seeing the old photos of the city.
Wende said…
This is fabulous post!! I'm totally inspired by your trip to yesteryear! :D
Unknown said…
Fantastic post! I agree that there is a inspiration can be drawn from years past. Your pictures were amazing.
Mélanie A. said…
Wonderful post! I love to look at San Francisco . I went to several parts of the states but never in SF. I hope to come one day , it is beautiful
Brigitte said…
I just dropped by checking up on the BIF progress. So glad I've found your blog!
Hijiri said…
OMG, I love love LOOOOVE this post!! all the images are soooo gorgeous and makes me wanna go back to SF then or NOW! :) Thank you so much for the wonderful inspiration!!!

Popular Posts