"The Coldest Winter I Ever Spent...

...was a Summer in San Francisco."-often attributed to Mark Twain, but of unknown origin.

Mark Twain did say, "Nobody ever wears Summer clothing. You wear black broadcloth--if you have it--in August and January, just the same. It is no colder, and no warmer, in the one month than the other. You do not use overcoats and you do not use fans. It is as pleasant a climate as could well be contrived, take it all around, and is doubtless the most unvarying in the whole world. The wind blows there a good deal in the summer months, but then you can go over to Oakland, if you choose--three or four miles away--it does not blow there."


So here is my unsolicited annual advice to those of you who plan on visiting San Francisco between June and August.

Bring one of these...

and you may need these...

Do Not bring these!



If you don't believe me, you may end up in Fisherman's Wharf buying one of these...

Happy Summer!

Comments

I just left another comment on your previous post but I have to say THAT has always been one of my favorite sayings....Having been sailing on the bay in August I can verify the Parka is NO JOKE!!!!!!I'm laughing as it is 90 and muggy here in Texas......Thanks! Maryannexo
Anonymous said…
Oh poor you!
Come over to NY, it's most beautiful, breezy, 80F summer day in here in Brooklyn.
I went to buy fresh apricots for tatin, decided on a whim to go to Promenade instead, and spent 3 carefree happy hours, first walking along the Narrows, watching barges and sailboats on the backdrop of Staten Island, and then seating on a clover grass in Botanic Garden looking at cute dogs (and their no less cute owners...).
Yes, i did buy those apricots, but I'll postpone the baking till evening - the sun filled up my rooms now, and made me too lazy...
Pauline Wiles said…
So funny, and so true! Our British visitors always look at us weirdly when we insist they take a sweater with them on their day trip to SF (we are 25 miles south, outside the fog), and then they always come home for dinner complaining how cold it was. I'm sure the sweatshirts are best-sellers for the tourist shops!!
Tricia Rose said…
This year it is cold even up here in Marin - I love it! And I love the way people here talk about their micro-climates at dinner parties...
Yes, I'm a Brit...
highheeledlife said…
OH my ... who would have guessed .. thanks for the tip... HHL
Uncle Beefy said…
Child! Lord have mercy! You know I'm feelin' your flow on this one! Granted, today was pretty lovely (thank god!) but the cold and rain are on their approach once again. Dammit. Anyway, hang in there, kitten! ;)

Popular Posts